Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back among the connected

Sheriff Deputies patrol Central Florida in the wake of Fay

I will begin this entry with one line....I know better! I should have unplugged my computer and modem when Monday nights fierce thunderstorm moved into Kemptville. The storm was by far the most intense this summer, with incredible lightning in our area. One or two bolts....they scared the hell out of me, hit very close to my house, between me and KTC, and took out my cable. The surge ran up my cable wire right into my modem and computer and took out my network card. It continued into other parts of my electronic world but those items were far less important to me than my computer. Needless to say I was not happy, and a little embarrassed to boot. I should know better! Well thanks to the fine customer service from Cogeco, they are awesome compared to Bell, and Sigma Computers here in Kemptville (613-258-9716) http://www.sigmacomputers.on.ca/ I am back on line...among the living...or connected.

What did we miss? Well not much here. For the first time since May 8 or so, by my calculations, we are going to have 5 dry days in a row. Today will be sunny and 27C, close to 30C tomorrow. The only threat for showers comes late Sunday.

Tropical Storm Fay has been historic in places in Florida. The stubborn storm is crawling across Florida at less than 5mph. The system first came onshore near the Keys and has moved north towards Port St. Lucie and now across the state and just off the Atlantic coast near Daytona. It has taken all week to do this. Winds have been minimal in the 50-60mph range. Some tornadoes have caused isolated major damage. But the big weather story is the rain. Over 25 inches or 725mm or rain has soaked parts of east central Florida. A state of emergency in in effect in several counties with the National Guard performing numerous water rescues. The water just keeps rising. Until the storm decides where to go the area will keep getting drenched.

No comments: