Thursday, October 30, 2008

Is it really October?

"What happened to summer?"

I was driving back from dropping my daughter off at the school bus in Osgoode this morning when the image below caught my eye (farm on the left, snow and the rising sun). I had to remind myself it was October and not early December. It looked like a Christmas card. I also heard my first Christmas commercial on the radio, so I guess the gloves are off, or on depending how you view things.

With Halloween just a day away we are looking at big icy snow banks everywhere and still a few tree limbs on the ground for good measure. I had mentioned yesterday that about 15,000 hydro customers were without power, estimates were actually double that at 30,000 in Ontario and another 50,000 in west Quebec from the Nor'Easter. By the way that storm made it into the top 5 all time for October snowfalls for Ottawa.

Halloween at this time looks good, much milder and fair. It will turn cooler Saturday and Sunday, but no storms on the radar till at least the middle of next week, if not longer.

Congrats to the Phillies who won the World Series last night. It was a bizarre series with game five being cut in half and delayed 48 hours by that aforementioned Nor'Easter. Last note this morning, and yet another victim of the storm, a Wallaby is loose in North Grenville. The poor little guy named Wendell, went missing after a tree, heavy from the wet snow, fell over and knocked the fence down in his pen at Saunders Country Critters just south of town on the 44. The complete story can be found at this LINK
Wendell...
Photo from Saunders Country Critters

No comments: