Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Snow tapers off

Update 12:30pm: We are still below freezing here in Kemptville with some of the snow slowly melting. Roads are drying out, but blowing snow is still a problem in open areas. Here is a brief summary of some snowfall amounts from the region as the clean up and restoration of power continues:

Brockville 18 cm
Embrun over 15 cm
Kemptville 15cm
Kanata 12.5 cm
Ottawa 10 cm
Russell 10 cm
Cornwall 10-12 cm


Wow! What a night across eastern Ontario. Heavy wet snow and strong winds in excess of 60km/h hit the region. The snow stopped a little after 2am in Kemptville with a good 15cm on my car and trees, a little less on the ground. Lots of ice this morning and still some blowing snow. There is plenty of tree damage visible in lots of places in town and across the rural areas. The fire department was kept busy here in Kemptville and also in Brockville overnight with numerous calls for power lines down and cars in the ditch. In all over 15,000 hydro customers were left in the dark in Ontario. Hydro One says it will take the balance of the day to restore power.
I am late with my blog update today because my Cogeco wire for my cable and Internet was ripped out of the side of the house by the weight of the snow and ice. The early season snow can be blamed on the strong Nor'Easter that is now northeast of Montreal. We were lucky with only 15cm as many areas to our south in NY had well in excess of 30cm. Above are some photos I took from Kemptville this morning, and I will provide a final summary of snow and rain totals later today.



1 comment:

Chipper said...

I was up the laddar 6 times last night to clean the dish...didn't fall off once 2 stories onto my back (knock wood). Figured that of all people you'd appreciate that feat.