Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July. I took this photo on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel. (ValleyWX Pic)
It will be a warm and humid day across most of eastern North America on this 4th of July. Temperatures will rise once again into the 90's. A humidex advisory is in effect for southwest Ontario including the GTA for highs in the 33C (92F) range with humidex values over 40C. Here in Montreal it is a very muggy morning with temperatures around 21C (70F), and high temperatures forecast around 30C (86F). Ile Perrot had about 10mm of rain overnight as a few decent showers rolled through in the wee hours. We will have a lull in the activity for most of the morning before a weak cold front crosses the St. Lawrence Valley in the afternoon. There is an elevated risk of a few strong thunderstorms, perhaps producing small hail and heavy rain in southern Quebec and the St. Lawrence Valley by late afternoon.

Hydro One crews from Ontario work in 100F weather in Baltimore, Maryland yesterday, helping to restore power to millions. Meanwhile employees from Hydro Quebec will join them today. (Hydro One Photo)
This has been quite a year for violent thunderstorms across many areas on both sides of the border. The power is still out for hundreds of thousands in the middle Atlantic and Ohio Valley and several tornadoes were reported once again in southern Saskatchewan on Tuesday. I find it odd that in such an active year I have only witnessed two lowly thunderstorms this year, the least of my weather career. I guess it really is all about location, location, location. I missed the big storm here in the city back in late May, and most of the activity has either been west or south of Ile Perrot. My wife calls it my bubble that follows me everywhere, protects me, but I need a little more weather! Time for a road trip I think.

No comments: