Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Frigid Happy New Year


Welcome 2014, now just a couple of hours away here in the eastern time zone. Some snow tonight along an arctic boundary across southern Quebec has come to an end after about 2-3cm. Roads remain slick as the salt does not work very well when it is this cold. Now the mercury is dropping as arctic air surges into the region. I am showing a chilly -22C currently on L'Ile Perrot, it was 0C at this time last year, so it is a much colder new year for sure. The cold weather is here to stay for the first few days of 2014.

As my 9th year of blogging comes to an end, I want to thank everyone for reading. It has been a weather year with lots of dramatic and at times very sad weather events across North America and the World. There was plenty of historic floods, tornadoes a super typhoon but thankfully a quiet Atlantic hurricane season.

Just a few stats from my own little corner of the world, the warmest temperature here at my home was 33.7C (92.6F) on July 17. That same day we had a heat index of 42.2C (107F). The coldest reading was -27.7C (-18F) on January 23. What an incredible spread in temperatures, over 110 degrees Fahrenheit, you have to love Montreal weather. As I mentioned this was my 9th year blogging and 34th year keeping weather data. My blog has received 238,667 page views since I started in 2005. The top countries for visits to my blog by no surprise are Canada and the US. What is surprising are numbers 3 and 4, the Czech Republic and Russia, go figure!

Thanks again for reading. Have a very Happy New Year!

No comments: